Humboldt Park church, tied to Wicker Park, loses steeple in 211 alarm fire


At approximately 8:20 a.m., the steeple of what was the Salvation and Deliverance Ministries International Church at 1540 N. Spaulding Ave., in Humboldt Park, was in flames.

Firemen attempted to approach the fire from within the building but realized that they had to approach from the exterior and it turned into a 211 extra alarm fire, according to the Chicago Fire Department's Larry Langford. 


Aerial view from Google

The fire was contained to the steeple, which he indicated is destroyed. However, there was no fire damage in the main church structure. If there is water damage, he assessed it as minor. 

Since there is no electric in the steeple, said Langford, the origin of the fire may have been a lightning strike. 

Ties to Wicker Park


Historic picture of the St. Simon Church

Built in 1899 by the St. Simon's Evangelical Lutheran Church, the congregation was organized as the Evangelical Lutheran St. Simonskirche in 1889. 

In 1965 St. Simon's merged with St. Peter's (1895, General Council) to form Simon Peter Lutheran Church at 1540 N. Spaulding Ave. 

The Rev. Malcom D. Shutters, who served as pastor of the Wicker Park Lutheran, Hoyne and LeMoyne, from 1946 until 1986, also accepted the role of pastor for Simon Peter's in 1980. 

But, in 1986 the church building was sold to the Salvation and Deliverance Full Gospel Church with the stipulation that Simon Peter be allowed to use the building rent free for the next 10 years. However, in December 1991 Simon Peter disbanded.

Top photo courtesy of David Ramos



Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Insert images and media with <pp_img> or <pp_media>. See formatting options for syntax.

More information about formatting options

By submitting this form, you accept the Mollom privacy policy.