Ukrainian Village and Wicker Park projects receive 3 Chicago Landmarks Preservation Awards

Date: 
05/03/2013
943NHoyne

943 N. Hoyne in Ukrainian Village

Of the 14 projects recognized for significant contributions to the preservation of the City's historic buildings and places, one building in Ukrainian Village and two in Wicker Park received a Preservation Excellence Award. 

In Chicago Landmarks' Ukrainian Village District (established in 2002), the recipients are the Spences at 934 N. Hoyne. Built for an immigrant German businessman in 1894, the Romanesque Revival brick multi-family residence was designed by William Pagels. 

The building was de-converted from a four-unit building to a three and the front entrance stairs were rebuilt and a new canopy was installed. Other work included masonry repairs, window restoration, some window replacements, replacement of missing pressed-metal historic cornice and other work. 

2051WEvergreen

2051 W. Evergreen

One of the two Wicker Park winners is residential and the other commercial. Another 1894 Romanesque Revival is a winner at 2051 W. Evergreen in the Chicago Landmarks' Wicker Park District, designated in 1991. The Walczaks purchased the property as it had several city violations and was peril of demolition. 

In addition to dealing with the code violations and a court case, the Walczaks repaired and restored the windows including the curved second floor window. The front stone stairs were restored and the masonry was cleaned. In addition there was construction of a rear addition and a garage. 

1601NMilwaukee

1601 N. Milwaukee Ave.

Built in 1919 as the Noel State Bank, in the heart of Wicker Park's main intersection of Milwaukee, North and Damen Avenues, the lime-stone faced structure was repurposed and renovated by Walgreens. Part of the 2008-designated Chicago Landmarks Milwaukee Avenue District, the scope of the work for the award included replacement of non-historic tinted glass with clear glass to allow greater visibility of the newly-installed retail store and the historic ceiling. 

The revolving historic brass door was refurbished and the cast-iron entries were scraped, cleaned and repainted. A wall hole for an ATM machine was replaced with stone. The interior ceiling and skylight restoration and interior design was not a part of this award. 

"It was thrilling to restore this architectural gem into a major business anchor in the Wicker Park and Bucktown area," said Robert Elfinger, a spokesperson for Walgreens. 

This was the 14th time these awards have been given by the Commission which recommends buildings and districts for landmark protection to the Chicago City Council. Administered by the Department of Housing and Economic Development, the Commission works with homeowners, businesses, organizations and developers to promote the preservation and maintenance of historic properties.

*Photos courtesy of the Chicago Landmarks Commission

Related:

Comments

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Insert images and media with <pp_img> or <pp_media>. See formatting options for syntax.

More information about formatting options

By submitting this form, you accept the Mollom privacy policy.